Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mt. Monadnock via trails less traveled

Saturday, 8/25/12: One of the advantages of taking less-traveled trails on Monadnock is that you avoid the hordes of hikers on the mountain. On some trails (Surprise Point and Cliff Walk), we didn't see a soul.

I am now a convert to electrolyte drinks when it's hot or humid. I drank the equivalent of 3 32-oz. bottles Zero Powerade and I felt great at day's end -- in contrast to how depleted ("wilted") I normally feel after only drinking water.

Wildlife sighting -- what I believe is a garter snake.

This was good training for the Lafayette Ridge hike we plan later this year!

5.8 miles RT, 2,277' elevation gain (approx. 6 hours with stops)
Summit: Mt. Monadnock (3,165')
Route: White Dot, Cascade Link, Spellman, Pumpelly to the summit; White Arrow, Surprise Point, Cliff Walk and Lost Farm Trails on the descent

Snake
Snake on trial to Mt. Monadnock

No comments: