Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mt. Eisenhower in the fall

In the White Mountains of NH, there's only a one-in-five chance that you'll see the summit of Mt. Washington: it's said to be cloaked in clouds 80% of the time. We were lucky on Sunday to have clear views of the summit of Mt. Washington (in the distance in the photo) both on the summit of Mt. Eisenhower and on the Edmands Path on the way up. I could actually see the towers on the top with my naked eye!

The Edmands Path is a wonderful trail. I really love it. I kept saying "I love this path!" Very pleasant hike, without lots of large boulders to climb over. A relatively easy descent as the White Mountains go.

Throughout this hike, I kept thinking of my old friend Debra Goldfarb, who, with her husband Roger, led me and John up that path more than 15 years ago. I found it very difficult then; it was much easier the second time around because I'm in far better shape now than I was then.

The Crawford Path (shown in the photo) snakes it's way from the summit of Mt. Eisenhower, to Mt. Monroe, and then to Mt. Washington. One day I'll be on that path all the way to Mt. Washington!

6.6 miles, 2,700' elevation gain
Summit: Mt. Eisenhower = 4,760 feet
Route: Edmands Path

No comments: